Wednesday, December 20, 2006

An Update

Such a heartbreaking story. The last few days we even watched the helicopters fly over our house.

HOOD RIVER, Ore. - With yet another snowstorm barreling in, rescue teams gave up any hope of finding two missing climbers alive on wind-whipped Mount Hood and abandoned the frustrating, 9-day-old search Wednesday.
"We've done everything we can at this point," said Sheriff Joe Wampler, choking back tears after returning from one last, fruitless flyover of the 11,239-foot peak.
As the weather permits, officials will now look for the bodies of Brian Hall and Jerry "Nikko" Cooke, he said.
Wampler said the men's families made the decision to end the search.
"It was pretty much their conclusion. The chance of survival is pretty nil. I don't think I can justify putting any more people in the field with the hope of finding them alive," the sheriff said.
The men's families had no immediate comment.
Three climbers in all were reported missing in the snow on Mount Hood on Dec. 11. One of them, 48-year-old Dallas landscape architect Kelly James, was found dead in a snow cave on Sunday. Volunteers continued scouring the mountains for signs of James' climbing partners, Hall, a 37-year-old personal trainer from Dallas, and Cooke, a 36-year-old lawyer from New York City. But climbing gear found on the peak suggested the two may have been swept to their deaths over a precipice or buried in an avalanche.


Please keep these families in your prayers.
We also learned of a family that lives nearby, lost EVERYTHING in a house fire last Sunday night.......
I recently read on a friends blog how there is so much sadness this time of year - and how she chose to keep her focus on Jesus ( sorry Amy-in-Germany, I'm not quoting you all that great here am I??) My prayer is that you are having a wonderful holiday season, treasuring all that you have. If this is a hard time of year for you, for whatever reason, that you would find your strength in our Creator.
God Bless.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You are quoting me just fine! I have been praying all along for these hikers. Maybe it's because the story was unfolding in Oregon (my home). I was crying all day yesterday when they gave up the search. I feel so sad for the families, and searchers, and really the whole state of Oregon. You have lost allot of people this winter. It must be so heart breaking! My best friend in high school lost her brother and both her parents in a car accident near the Oregon coast. Their car went off the road into the river. The whole state searched for two days...only to find them all dead. It was such a trauma...as I am sure it is now! I am very sorry! It does bring everything back to our real hope...Jesus! I believe at least one of the hikers was a Christian! I hope your Christmas is blessed! Hug your family and thank God for them.
I look forward to meeting you someday in the spring, Amy Heymann